registering a kayak

Miitch
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:57 pm
Location: Porter, TX

registering a kayak

I know there are a lot of post on here and virtually this. But I take 1 question I can't find the answer to. Both of my kayaks are used. I take no titles to them. My question is do you become a championship when purchased new? Or practise yous get one when you register information technology? Yes I programme to put a trolling motor on ane.

texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Posts: 3123
Joined: Fri October 23, 2009 vii:55 pm

Re: registering a kayak

Post past texnomad »

For my new yak I got a manufactures statement of origin which can be used to title the boat if desired.

User avatar

FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Gild
TKF 5000 Club
Posts: 5719
Joined: Saturday Sep 10, 2005 9:58 pm
Location: Silsbee, TX

Re: registering a kayak

Mail past FishingSETX »

texnomad wrote:For my new yak I got a articles statement of origin which can be used to title the gunkhole if desired.

X2. A kayak dealer may be able to help you if you lot deceit get in affect with the original owner. When y'all purchase a new kayak, trailer, gunkhole, etc and the dealer does not du the title paperwork, y'all become a document of origin and a sales reciept. In order to title/register a kayak, you are going to need the certificate of origin and either a sales reciept or bill of sale along with a form from TPWD (cant call back which form).

Id try to arrive affect with the original possessor and then if you cant get them, I'd inquire one of the dealers that deal in the brand of yak you have.

User avatar

mickeyd
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Jul eighteen, 2007 12:37 pm
Location: Lost in Freeport Marsh

Re: registering a kayak

Mail by mickeyd »

As stated before, there is a form which you tin download that deals with a used kayak. Go to the TPWD site and check their boat registration feature and it should give you the info and form(south) which yous volition need. A bill of auction from the previous owner volition help merely I am not certain it is asolutely needed.
Good luck!

User avatar

TexomaB
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Denison, Texas - Malibu Mini-X (stone) WS Ride 115 (Red)

Re: registering a kayak

Post by TexomaB »

I'm néw to this too, and so since I just got a new kayak I need a certificate of origin and sales receipt to register my kayak?

User avatar

TexomaB
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 ix:54 pm
Location: Denison, Texas - Malibu Mini-Ten (stone) WS Ride 115 (Red)

Re: registering a kayak

Postal service by TexomaB »

PWD 143, Section E under Title and Registration - Sailboats less than 14 feet, canoes, kayaks, punts, rubber rafts
and rowboats when they are paddled, poled, oared or windblown are not required to be registered.

Am I reading this right?

User avatar

FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Posts: 5719
Joined: Sabbatum Sep x, 2005 nine:58 pm
Location: Silsbee, TX

Re: registering a kayak

Post past FishingSETX »

SoonerBorn74 wrote:PWD 143, Section E under Championship and Registration - Sailboats less than 14 feet, canoes, kayaks, punts, rubber rafts
and rowboats when they are paddled, poled, oared or windblown are not required to be registered.

Am I reading this right?

Yup you are right, merely if it's got a motor whether electric or gas, it has to be titled and registered. No motor, no need to register.

Has to be registered:

Image

Miitch
Posts: 56
Joined: Sabbatum November 27, 2010 4:57 pm
Location: Porter, TX

Re: registering a kayak

Postal service by Miitch »

Sent Native an e-mail including place of purchase, color, and series #. They said they"ll get me ane. Thanks for the help.

User avatar

awendel
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 eleven:46 pm
Location: On Chocolate Bayou

Re: registering a kayak

Post by awendel »

I just registered a Stealth 14 this week and it was $59 for title and TX numbers.

User avatar

PoppyG
Posts: 197
Joined: Midweek Nov 03, 2010 half-dozen:37 pm
Location: Wylie, TX

Re: registering a kayak

Postal service past PoppyG »

Just did it last week. It cost me $59 per kayak. I did ii. The two forms that I had to fill out were the VESSEL/Gunkhole APPLICATION (PWD 143) and the Affidavit OF FACT (PWD 314). I VERY HIGHLY recommend that you either practise the scratch thing to get your serial number off the kayak or do a paint wipe thing on the serial number and take a digital photo of the serial number. TPWD are very serious about the series numbers. The $59 volition go you a championship for your kayak and registration that lasts 3 yrs I recall with renewal correct now at $27. You lot will find that the forms are easy to fill out. Here is the take hold of. I bought my kayaks off Amazon.com so they are based in WA then I did not accept to pay sales tax. If you bought yours in TX you may have to, not sure about that. But go do it, it is not hard only make sure your paperwork is filled out before hand. You volition get your registration tag and numbers on the spot, title will come up through the mail later. Adept luck and hope to run across you on the water. I have attached the two forms that I know you volition need. You may and probably volition need a bill of sale from the previous owner.

PoppyG

Image

Attachments
pwd_0504_a0900_affidavit_of_facts_for_identification.pdf
(241.82 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
pwd_314_a0900_affidavit_of_fact.pdf
(242.47 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
pwd_143_a0900_vessel_boat_application.pdf
(434.79 KiB) Downloaded 400 times

User avatar

hdcowboy
TKF 10,000 Gild
TKF 10,000 Club
Posts: 12261
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 iii:45 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Declension

Re: registering a kayak

Mail service by hdcowboy »

hdcowboy wrote:Should be $32 I believe..........Hard disk

Come to recall about it I registered ii of them concluding year, the 1st one was $32 but all I was do was transferring the title in my name, the previous possessor already paid for the tags, the 2nd one was a make new one that had never been titled and information technology was more like $59 like the other guys were proverb.

User avatar

PoppyG
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed November 03, 2010 half dozen:37 pm
Location: Wylie, TX

Re: registering a kayak

Post by PoppyG »

I did not have to have the statement of origin. I simply needed the VESSEL/BOAT Awarding (PWD 143) and the AFFIDAVIT OF FACT (PWD 314) along with a photograph of the series number and gunkhole. If they ask you for argument of origin, simply explain that the manf. is no longer around and the kayak has never had a motor or title. It really should not exist whatever harder than that. They did not even care that I brought the purchase receipt in.

PoppyG

minhnusa
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 one:36 am

Re: registering a kayak

Post by minhnusa »

PoppyG wrote:I did not have to accept the statement of origin. I just needed the VESSEL/BOAT APPLICATION (PWD 143) and the AFFIDAVIT OF FACT (PWD 314) along with a photograph of the serial number and boat. If they ask y'all for statement of origin, just explain that the manf. is no longer around and the kayak has never had a motor or title. It actually should not be any harder than that. They did non even care that I brought the buy receipt in.

PoppyG

The lady at TPWD told me that I take to get a written explaination from the previous possessor
why the boat was never registered. Of course, I told her over the phone that the boat was
intended for padding that's why it'south never registered. In reality, it's non easy for me to get back to that guy and ask him writting his reason why he didn't have it registered. So, what to do if he refused to write his reason for not registering?
As you tin see, my process of trying to become this boat registered is non every bit easy every bit it sounds.
Thanks.

minhnusa
Posts: iv
Joined: Sat Jun nineteen, 2010 1:36 am

Re: registering a kayak

Mail by minhnusa »

cobra342 wrote:the 14 foot restriction just applies to sailboats. Not kayaks or canoes

Cobra, I'1000 not sure what yous're talking nigh here.
We're all the same discussing about registering a kayak/canoe, and so we can be legally compliance when operate with trolling motor.

cobra342
Posts: 29
Joined: Lord's day Mar 06, 2011 ten:27 pm
Location: college station

Re: registering a kayak

Mail past cobra342 »

joshcad85 wrote:And so no motor (trolling or otherwise) and nether 14' no registration?

Sounds good.

Should have quoted it sorry.

User avatar

hdcowboy
TKF x,000 Gild
TKF 10,000 Club
Posts: 12261
Joined: Thu April 21, 2005 3:45 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast

Re: registering a kayak

Post by hdcowboy »

minhnusa wrote:The lady at TPWD told me that I have to become a written explaination from the previous owner
why the boat was never registered. Of class, I told her over the phone that the boat was
intended for padding that'due south why it's never registered. In reality, it's not easy for me to go back to that guy and ask him writting his reason why he didn't accept information technology registered. So, what to do if he refused to write his reason for not registering?
As you lot can run across, my process of trying to become this gunkhole registered is non as easy as information technology sounds.
Thank you.

I ran into a similar situation at the TPWD, some young gal was a snooker for all the rules, she nearly had me pulling my pilus out! Went back a couple weeks subsequently and some older fella who looked like he worked there for a while was there and he just permit me fill up out some affidavit form for the paper piece of work I didn't have. Seems different folks have different ideas almost stuff. Try going back and talking to another person or if that fails find another function somewhere. I called effectually later on my 1st run in and plant out you can fifty-fifty get to an function in another county to go it registered if you want.